A few friends in my discord do a weekly ‘paper’ discussion group (read: like a book club but nerdier) & I figured it’d be nice to record some comments from the papers selected over time & maybe revisit to see if there’s further development on what we’ve discussed previously. I’ll put a backlog of the papers we’ve discussed at the end and future papers and notes to the top of the next section.
- Observation of Gravitational Waves from a Binary Black Hole Merger – https://journals.aps.org/prl/pdf/10.1103/PhysRevLett.116.061102
- This was a really fun paper from 2017. I had heard about gravitational wave detections from LIGO when they were first announced as it was a pretty notable event. None of our group had read the paper and, when selecting a paper for this week I came across it in a list of frequently cited papers and decided to give it a go. On the whole we agreed it was an interesting paper, well written, and conveyed the significance and details of the detection well. Towards the end there was a big discussion about the assumptions used in the paper being both substantial and under acknowledged; on doing some follow-up research it looks like that was one of few criticisms of the paper which made its way in to a few journals — the assumptions held up and were logical but they were, never-the-less, still assumptions.
- A good paper for those interested in what gravitational waves are, how they can be caused and how they are detected.
- A really notable takeaway for me was the way the waves were predicted and modeled before any detections existed and not only were apparently quite accurate but also had modeled a variety of celestial phenomena (colliding black holes, stars colliding with black holes, colliding white dwarfs, etc. Very cool stuff!
- The Attentional Cost of Inattentional Blindness – https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/775498208591085578/840571574804938762/The_attentional_cost_of_inattentional_blindness.pdf
- Interesting paper about some phenomenons tied to attention and missing stimulus when focused on other tasks. The paper does 5 experiments in a similar vein to the familiar gorilla/basketball experiment. The biggest highlight appears to be that when focusing on something an unusual/unexpected events happen, even subconsciously, it costs some degree of attention.
- Interesting question – what would this look like in an fMRI? Would also be interesting to see other similar experiments in different circumstances or with larger groups of people.
- Broadband Antireflection with Halide Perovskite Metasurfaces – https://sci-hub.tf/10.1002/lpor.202000338
- Optical beaming of electrical discharges – https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-19183-0.pdf
- Detection of Cyclopropenylidene on Titan with ALMA – https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/1538-3881/abb679
- A Framework for Intelligence and Cortical Function Based on Grid Cells in the Neocortex – https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fncir.2018.00121/full
- Status of the SPARC physics basis – https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-plasma-physics/article/status-of-the-sparc-physics-basis/B21625B93C0654B955B776566C96DF6B
- AIR-FI:Generating Covert Wi-Fi Signals fromAir-Gapped Computers – https://arxiv.org/pdf/2012.06884.pdf
- Physiological demands of running at 2-hour marathon race pace – https://journals.physiology.org/doi/full/10.1152/japplphysiol.00647.2020
- Fast Erasure Coding for Data Storage: A Comprehensive Study of the Acceleration Techniques – https://www.usenix.org/system/files/fast19-zhou.pdf
- Vaccine elicitation of HIV broadly neutralizing antibodies from engineered B cells – https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-19650-8
- Multi-visit Drone Routing Problem – https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0305054819302448
- Olfactory systems across mosquito species – https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00441-020-03407-2
- I’m not dead yet! The role of the Operating System in a Kernel-Bypass Era – https://irenezhang.net/papers/demikernel-hotos19.pdf
- The diversity and function of sourdough starter microbiomes – https://elifesciences.org/articles/61644#sa1
- Judgement under Uncertainty: Heuristics and Biases – https://www2.psych.ubc.ca/~schaller/Psyc590Readings/TverskyKahneman1974.pdf
- SOME IMPLICATIONS FOR BOTH LIFE AND CIVILIZATIONS REGARDING INTERIOR WATER OCEAN WORLDS – https://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2021/pdf/1180.pdf
- The Silurian hypothesis: would it be possible to detect an industrial civilization in the geological record? – https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/international-journal-of-astrobiology/article/silurian-hypothesis-would-it-be-possible-to-detect-an-industrial-civilization-in-the-geological-record/77818514AA6907750B8F4339F7C70EC6
- The Matayoshi Family and Kingai-ryu – https://kodokanboston.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/kingairyuarticle.pdf